KDE3 + CUPS, lack of drivers.

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 09:54:54 +0200

The standard CUPS package only comes with a few drivers for HP or Epson
printers. There's much more drivers available out there:
- look if there's no other package for the printer drivers in your Slackware
  distro
- go to http://www.linuxprinting.org and generate a driver (PPD file) for
  your printer, then put it into /usr/share/cups/model and start the wizard
  again.

To use the second method, you may need to install additional packages (depend
on how Slackware generated its package): foomatic and gimp-print. Check for
example that you have:
- /usr/lib/cups/filter/cupsomatic
- "stp" in the list of supported drivers of ghostscript (type "gs -h")
The first tells you you have foomatic installed, the second tells you ghostscript
has been compiled with gimp-print support.

Bye.
Michael.

> Using slackware-8.0, I've compiled and installed KDE-3.0 + CUPS. I went
> to the printing-manager to install my printer.
>
> Clicking the install printer/class icon launched a very nice wizard for
> configuring my printer.. Nice work! I select local printer, since I'm
> connecting using a parallel-cable. I then select lp0 as the port.. So
> far so good. But in the next screen things get screwed up.. I get a list
> of drivers, but the only manufacturer on the list is "ESP", and there's
> some EPSON, HP, OKIDATA printers in the model list.. What about my Canon
> BJC-4400? Is there drivers available for it? If so, how can I install
> them, and make them appear in the list? Or is it any other way to
> configure it? Any help is appreciated. Sorry for my bad english, and
> sorry for posting a lame question if this is answered in a FAQ somewhre,
> but I tried to find it, and couldn't :-/

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM