[Kde-print-devel] Open Printing Common Print Dialog

hvengel at astound.net hvengel at astound.net
Tue Jun 8 16:38:02 CEST 2010

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:15:51 +0100
  John Layt <johnlayt at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> > This will not work for me but someone else from Open Printing may be able
>> > to attend.  I have CC'ed Till Kamppeter who is the main person at Open
>> > Printing and it may be possible for him or someone else closer to
>> > Finland to attend. I think it would be a very good idea to have someone
>> > demo the CPD and also work out any issues.  Also as this moves forward I
>> > would be more than happy to have you and others working on KDE and Qt
>> > review the work so that we know we are headed in the right direction.
>>
>> I did not plan to participate in the aKademy this year, but Peter was
>> already earlier on an aKademy and has presented the project.
>>
>> Should Peter or me participate this year? Problem is also that their
>> Call for Papers is already closed.
>>
>>     Till
>
> I don't think we would need a presentation on the high-level concept at the
> conference proper, I think Peter covered that well at Mechalen (video at
> http://home.kde.org/~akademy08/videos/Akademy2008_2_02_ComingToEveryLinuxDesktopNextGenerationPrintingDialogs_PeterSikking.ogg
> for anyone interested).
>
> I was thinking more of a technical BoF during the hack week where we could
> hash out the technical details of how the implementation is actually going to
> work, do walk-throughs of the workflow and each app/dialog interaction
> scenario, sort out where it will live, define what our requirements are for it
> to be accepted into KDE, and work out the community co-ordination issues.

I agree that these are all very important things that need to be worked out in the near future.
 Preferably in the next few weeks.

> Getting some of our key hackers who know stuff I don't in a room with you and
> any Qt guys available could solve a lot of issues very quickly and give a
> clear path forward.  I'd hate for you guys to complete a solution and only
> then find it was something we couldn't use.
>
> I guess it depends on whether such a session would have enough value without
> Hal, or if we resolve enough issues before Akademy to make it a waste of your
> time.  I'd also need to see if I can raise enough interest amongst the core
> hackers to get them to attend.

My feeling is that we can resolve the vast majority of this in the next few weeks if the right
players are involved.

> Cheers!
>
> John.
>
> P.S.  Is there any more detailed architectural and/or technical documentation
> than what's on
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/commonprintingdialog
> or do I just read the code?

That is about it.  You do need to look at the code to really know how it works.