[Kde-print-devel] Open Printing Common Print Dialog

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 8 16:15:51 CEST 2010

On Monday 07 Jun 2010 21:03:37 Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 06/07/2010 08:00 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:
> >> We have our annual conference (http://akademy.kde.org/) coming up in a
> >>
> >>   months time, which would be a great chance to grab all the necessary
> >>   people to discuss things, so it would be good to have some kind of
> >>   idea of what is needed before then.  Would someone from OpenPrinting
> >>   be able to attend during the hack week to discuss the plans from a
> >>   technical view?
> >
> > This will not work for me but someone else from Open Printing may be able
> > to attend.  I have CC'ed Till Kamppeter who is the main person at Open
> > Printing and it may be possible for him or someone else closer to
> > Finland to attend. I think it would be a very good idea to have someone
> > demo the CPD and also work out any issues.  Also as this moves forward I
> > would be more than happy to have you and others working on KDE and Qt
> > review the work so that we know we are headed in the right direction.
>
> I did not plan to participate in the aKademy this year, but Peter was
> already earlier on an aKademy and has presented the project.
>
> Should Peter or me participate this year? Problem is also that their
> Call for Papers is already closed.
>
>     Till

I don't think we would need a presentation on the high-level concept at the
conference proper, I think Peter covered that well at Mechalen (video at
http://home.kde.org/~akademy08/videos/Akademy2008_2_02_ComingToEveryLinuxDesktopNextGenerationPrintingDialogs_PeterSikking.ogg
for anyone interested).

I was thinking more of a technical BoF during the hack week where we could
hash out the technical details of how the implementation is actually going to
work, do walk-throughs of the workflow and each app/dialog interaction
scenario, sort out where it will live, define what our requirements are for it
to be accepted into KDE, and work out the community co-ordination issues.

Getting some of our key hackers who know stuff I don't in a room with you and
any Qt guys available could solve a lot of issues very quickly and give a
clear path forward.  I'd hate for you guys to complete a solution and only
then find it was something we couldn't use.

I guess it depends on whether such a session would have enough value without
Hal, or if we resolve enough issues before Akademy to make it a waste of your
time.  I'd also need to see if I can raise enough interest amongst the core
hackers to get them to attend.

Cheers!

John.

P.S.  Is there any more detailed architectural and/or technical documentation
than what's on
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/commonprintingdialog
or do I just read the code?