advert on webcvs

Navindra Umanee navindra at cs.mcgill.ca
Fri Feb 27 19:25:37 CET 2004

Andreas Pour <pour at mieterra.com> wrote:
> That's the point.  If it's not the project's website, why should it have the
> project's domain name?

If the site is the result of the efforts of members of the KDE
community and the site maintainers want to be considered part of the
KDE family sites I think we should allow them to use domain.kde.org as
the primary site name.

It's just a matter of welcoming a new project to the family.

KDE e.V. wins too, if ever there is a problem the domain can be taken
back at any time.  Furthermore, we can drop in a new solution in place
and maintain link compatibility if ever there is a need.

> Are you worried about dot.kde.org, or what exactly is the objection?

I don't believe dot.kde.org has been under attack at any point?
Considering that I maintain a full backup of the site on ktown, I
don't think there was ever a problem?

What I am thinking of, as already stated, are sites like wiki.kde.org
and webcvs.kde.org which are valuable and are maintained by community
members on external servers.

> > webcvs.kde.org/content/here/ is IMHO a much better URL than
> > randomdomain/content/here/, same thing for the wiki.
>
> Why?

For us, because randomdomain can disappear at any time whereas
domain.kde.org potentially provides a more permanent link and home.

Case in point: kde.ground.cz is probably going to disappear by next
week.  I've offered the guy wiki.kdenews.org but shucks, why does it
have to be so hard to get wiki.kde.org?  There's no reason to turn him
away.

> beginning.  Compromise means: nobody gets exactly what they want but
> everyone gets a little of what they want ;-).

I think the best compromise I've heard so far is to get kde.net and
liberally allow KDE projects and third-party sites to use
domain.kde.net.

Cheers,
Navin.