Id tags are fun

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Feb 23 19:02:36 CET 2004

On Monday 23 February 2004 18:53, Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:
> [Stephan Kulow, So 22.02. 2004 11:12:11]
> > Could you please stick to code you maintain for doing such things?
> > I don't think it will harm, but I would still like everyone to decide
> > for his own.
>
> Stephan, could you please suggest a policy change on the kde-policies list
> if you believe that everyone should decide this on his/her own? Commit
> rule 19 does not say that it is optional, so if a majority of people
> agree with your interpretation of the policy, then we should make this
> explicit.

I don't agree with Stephan's interpretation, and I think $Id$ tags should be
completely eradicated.
The fact that nobody actually objected on kde-core-devel for his own
code (ah, don't we all miss Alex Zepeda?:)) shows that either nobody really
minds, or that coolo's answer made them think they were safe. So I
vote for asking again and proceeding, this time.

OTOH this is a relatively minor issue. Certainly not one worth changing the
policies for, IMHO.