Fwd: Hayes

Charles Samuels kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:29:40 -0800

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 7:48, you wrote:
> Oh, Charles, do make up your mind, so we can end this.  Am I free to
> implement things any way I want, or not?
>
> On Tuesday January 28, 2003 07:39, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > That I *named* it addFile?  A rose by any ....
> > Or that I require properties?  YOU'RE FREE TO IMPLEMENT THAT ANY WAY AS
> > LONG AS YOU DO.
> > Or maybe because I called it Playlist instead of PlayList?
>
> On one hand you say I can implement addFile any way I wish...

Once again you take things out of context:

I said repeatedly that addFile is a misnomer, and had you reported it before I
kept BC, its name was fixed to what the documentation provides.  If the
documentation isn't updated to reflect the meaning that I have repeatedly
stated, please say so.

> > Neil claims that that the playlist api is designed specifically for SPL,
> > yet he doesn't implement properties because he doesn't.  And he thinks
> > they should be removed from the API!  That's because he (and you,
> > Carsten) don't even listen to shoutcast, that would make Noatun /less/
> > versatile and /more/ suited specifically to Hayes.  What use is the
> > Properties feature if the authors of plugins cannot expect for them to
> > work, as they are documented to be?
>
> .. but on on the other you assert that Hayes must implement setProperty in
> one precise way.

Once again you take things out of context:

I said repeatedly that setProperty can be implemented any way you want, as
long as it's implemented according to what the documentation requests,
thereby making the Noatun API more versatile.

> > Read this as many times as it takes Neil, Carsten.  I'm fed up with
> > constantly having to repeat the same things to you.  It's no coincidence
> > that the only people who think that Hayes belongs in CVS despite these
> > flaws are the ones who use Hayes.  Those are the people who don't ever
> > use shoutcast, or never use the Flood plugin, or the Smoove plugin, or
> > any of the plugins that show exactly how versatile this api is.
>
> Except that I specifically added support for Flood into Hayes.  Flood only
> needed read-only data, so that was fine.  Next excuse?

So are you going to do this for every plugin that wants properties?

And are you going to implement it immediataly before the author of the plugin
wants to use it, and somehow get it to every single Hayes user?

> Or don't bother with an excuse.  Just assert your will, and declare that as
> maintainer you can rudely refuse what ever you want, with no rationale or
> apologies.  It doesn't seem that many people would really object to that.
> I don't think I would.  Even the 3.2 RC seems to agree, and he hates your
> app.

Once again you take things out of context:

The 3.2 release dude, in plain english said, and I directly paste from his
mail, with absolutely no modifications what-so-ever:

	"Of course this should be on a technical level and as far as I understood,
Charles provided these technical reasons. "

Emphasis on the part following my name, that I did provide the technical
reasons.  Which directly conflicts with one of the 'blatantly false
statements' that you made: "with no rationale or apologies"

And if you'd like an apology as to end this endless debate:
	I hereby, with the full depth and sentiment I am able to glean from my mind
and soul, apologize with my entire being, for being unable to produce the
exact API you, specifically, desire.

- -Charles

- --
Charles Samuels <charles@kde.org>
"Pacifism implies quite a bit of wisdom" -- Maksim Orlovich