Fwd: Hayes

Harri Porten kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:30:27 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Rob Kaper wrote:

[skipped technical details and history not relevant to this list]

> I'm asking this as to see how to resolve this kind of issue, who should
> resolve it,

Ideally the both of you together, of course. Even under the assumption
that you already tried (and failed) I still maintain my point of view that
nobody else should look at technical arguments and judge upon them. The
involved authors are still the experts.

> and what a policy/guideline should be for such a situation.

The only possible policy having an affect I see here is to put a decision
power ladder going from

 1) app/lib author/maintainer
 2) module maintainer
 3) release coordinator

With conflict resolution sought at the lowest level first. I have to
stress that I don't think that any low level technical guidelines should
be put in place. Rather the duty of persons in level 2) and 3) to "force"
an agreement between conflicting parties in 1).

Harri.