FLA

Marc Mutz kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 21:16:47 +0100

--Boundary-02=_wKsQ+nAUDf5eszP

On Thursday 06 February 2003 20:31, Richard Moore wrote:
<snip>
> One question - why?
<snip>

The question as to why has already been answered in this thread. Please=20
read it, in addition to the FLA, if you want to give constructive=20
feedback. The bottomline: It's good for KDE and for it's developers.

If the question is instead "why _now_", the answer to that is twofold:

1. The FLA has just been released to the public. It's the first document=20
of it's scope that works in the copyright as well as the droit d'auteur=20
model.
2. We are currently trying to include the Qt exception in (esp.) the=20
libkdenetwork licenses, so that KOrganizer, for which there exists a=20
working Qt/E port, can link to it. And due to the plethora of=20
contributors, it's a nice little PITA.

> I have no plans to release the copyright of any
> of my own code, have other people asked to do this?
<snip>

Discussions here start not only if _you_ want something, you know ;-)

I don't care if an app developer signs a FLA-variant with KDE e.V., b/c=20
it's her risk and her risk alone if her license get's violated by a=20
third party. I care about what happens to KDE's essential frameworks=20
and applications, to which tens or hundreds of different people have=20
contributed and a few dozens of them have valid copyright claims on the=20
current source.

Marc

=2D-=20
It takes 5 minutes to create [a OpenPGP key].
Of course it takes a bit more time to get it signed...
                                                 -- David Faure