KDE e.V. transparency (was: Re: Voting rights - the GNOME way)

Rob Kaper kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 02:52:24 +0100

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 01:09, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> Bullshit. The members of eV are not some strangers that came from outer
> space to conquer KDE. The members of KDE e.V. are the people who wrote at
> least 90%, if not more, of the code of KDE and much of other stuff
> (websites, documentation, translations etc). They're all KDE supporters and
> addicts, right from the beginning.

I'll take the 90% claim lightly, but I am not doubting any of the individual
members of the e.V. or their intentions.

You must admit that the visibility of the e.V. is rather low and that the e.V.
website doesn't give a lot of information. The only reason it has credibility
to me is because it is hosted on kde.org and I know the names of the board
members. For an outsider, that might not be enough.

> The KDE e.V. is the legal body to accept donations "for KDE developers".
> Face it or not, companies do not hand out money to individuals just because
> they show a printout where they show that they have a @kde.org email
> address or because they look nice.
>
> Companies only donate money e.V.s or similiar institutions.

I'm not opposing to an organization, not at all. I just feel that with the
current *public* information on the e.V., it is not clear to me why someone
should want to sign up or make a donation.

Yes, *I* know the e.V. paid the ETAP hotel for LinuxTag last year because I
was there. But I am sure a lot of developers might not know this, let alone
KDE users considering to make a donation. Adding such activities to the e.V.
website would greatly help because it would give some visibility. Just
because a lot of active KDE developers doesn't automatically give the body
credibility. The e.V. could do better to promote itself.

> > I'm hoping to get a clarifying answer from one of the eV board members
> > soon about their budget, plans, concrete goals and membership
> > applications (I know of at least two people who were promised to get an
> > answer about their membership before the end of October)..
>
> concrete goals ? Like "we're planning to reach 40% market share as KDE
> Desktop in 2004" ?

That's more something for the League.

More concrete goals would be naming a few specific events that are important
to KDE and its development. What's the amount of the donations? After paying
for servers and the likes, how much is left to be spent on events, flyers and
other stuff? What decisions are made to budget that money?

What resources are available for which events, for example? Would Charles be
able to get some funding for LWCE in San Francisco just like our LinuxTag
presence is partially funded? We had to do with flyers that were a year old
this summer.

The lack of feedback some developers have been getting on their membership
status is also frustrating. Maybe everyone is just too busy or policies are
not in place to handle that kind of stuff speedily.

> > If the e.V. cannot provide us with any relevant information, I might
> > consider starting my own organization with the purpose of aiding KDE. As
> > open en accessible as KDE itself. Our primary virtue is that we are an
> > open source project and I see no reason to abandon that quality when it
> > comes to organizational issues.
>
> Oh boy.. no idea about what it does but trying to fork it. Have luck.

It's a last resort. Hopefully I my membership application is processed quickly
and I can work from within to bring more visibility to the e.V. for the
average KDE user and developer.

Just look at http://www.kde.org/kde-ev/about/

"The Association aids in creating and distributing KDE by securing cash,
hardware, and other donations, then using donations to aid KDE development
and promotion." isn't really making me go "wow, great job".

Marc's critism that there is no method in-place for Internet participation for
meetings. That makes it look hard to participate to the e.V. when - face it -
not living in or near Germany. Overseas developers cannot easily be
represented in meetings.

Anyway, I'm applying for membership. Hopefully I can use that to make a bit
more information on the e.V. activities public, which should avoid
discussions like these.

Rob
- --
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap@capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much
www.capsi.com | and we ain't got nothing, nothing! -- "Nothing" by A