KDE e.V. transparency (was: Re: Voting rights - the GNOME way)

Dirk Mueller kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 01:09:23 +0100

On Die, 26 Nov 2002, Rob Kaper wrote:

> My point about the donations stands though. If the eV has alienated itself
> from the KDE community, I highly object to having any kind of eV presence on
> kde.org, let alone sending donation money that-a-way.

Bullshit. The members of eV are not some strangers that came from outer
space to conquer KDE. The members of KDE e.V. are the people who wrote at
least 90%, if not more, of the code of KDE and much of other stuff
(websites, documentation, translations etc). They're all KDE supporters and
addicts, right from the beginning.

The KDE e.V. is the legal body to accept donations "for KDE developers".
Face it or not, companies do not hand out money to individuals just because
they show a printout where they show that they have a @kde.org email
address or because they look nice.

Companies only donate money e.V.s or similiar institutions.

> I'm hoping to get a clarifying answer from one of the eV board members
> soon about their budget, plans, concrete goals and membership applications
> (I know of at least two people who were promised to get an answer about
> their membership before the end of October)..

concrete goals ? Like "we're planning to reach 40% market share as KDE
Desktop in 2004" ?

> If the e.V. cannot provide us with any relevant information, I might
> consider starting my own organization with the purpose of aiding KDE. As
> open en accessible as KDE itself. Our primary virtue is that we are an open
> source project and I see no reason to abandon that quality when it comes to
> organizational issues.

Oh boy.. no idea about what it does but trying to fork it. Have luck.

--
Dirk (received 24 mails today)