KDE Policies to commercial apps/distributions

Waldo Bastian kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:07:13 +0100

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 16:06, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> I am *against* placing any restrictions on KDE (trademark or whatever).
> But:  it may be good idea to communicate with Lindows, Xandros, Lycoris,
> and discuss with them *what* we think is important in KDE/for KDE, and how
> we can work better together.
> The fact that Xandros tells about KDE on its web site is Good.

<snip>

> Havoc Pennington and Alexander Larsson  are on <kde-core-devel> and <XDG>
> lists, so communication with RedHat possible.

<snip>

Yes, eventually, yes. Unfortunately communication with distro's seems very
difficult at times. We had Cristian Tiberna and Kurt Granroth telling Corel
for about 2 years what we wanted *) from them (Corel) in terms of developer
integration and the response was basically zero. I don't think the situation
with Lindows / Xandros is much different.

Otoh Lindows did offer to sponsor a KDE conference last year but that received
about zero interest from KDE side.

Cheers,
Waldo

*) What we wanted: Having their developers subscribed and actively taking part
in design decissions on the mailinglists.