KDE Policies to commercial apps/distributions

Vadim Plessky kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:06:12 +0300

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 5:04 pm, Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:
|  On Tuesday 26 November 2002 11:29, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > | noticed, Xandros, Corel and Lindows hardly ever refer to KDE so its
|  > | not that forbidding them to use the KDE trademark would make any
|  > | difference.
|  >
|  > Xandros mentions KDE:
|
|  That's beside the point. Waldo was just giving some examples.
|
|  What matters is that if we were to place trademark restrictions, Xandros,
|  Corel, Lindows and anyone else might simple stop mentioning KDE at all.

I have tried twice, and it seems my point is still not clear.
Let me try for the 3rd time.

I am *against* placing any restrictions on KDE (trademark or whatever).
But:  it may be good idea to communicate with Lindows, Xandros, Lycoris, and
discuss with them *what* we think is important in KDE/for KDE, and how we can
work better together.
The fact that Xandros tells about KDE on its web site is Good.

| It's well within their legal rights. Actually, they're within their moral
| rights, as well. KDE was build upon a philosophy that would allow other
| people to modify it in their best interests. That's ultimately what Red
| Hat, Lindows and co. are doing.

Havoc Pennington and Alexander Larsson  are on <kde-core-devel> and <XDG>
lists, so communication with RedHat possible.
There is a nice stuff coming out: common icon theme format, etc.
But AFAIK none from companies listed above on XDG list, so when they use old
KDE, they close the door to enhancements of their particular product in the
future.
For example, does Xandros File Manager uses common iocn theme format? I am
quite confodent that it doesn't.
Is this compatibility issue?  Yes, sure.

And while there is ongoing work to make GNOME and KDE working better together,
it seems we can get unpleasant fragmentation from where we were not expecting
it to come: KDE itself.