Thoughts on when to put/remove applications to/from CVS

Stephan Binner kde-policies@mail.kde.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:57:13 +0100

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 12:43, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:

> Some ideas on when Appls should be put into KDE CVS:
> Definition: KDE CVS is the "core" modules kdelibs, kdebase, kdeadmin,

I don't like the term "KDE CVS" when you want to define which applications to
include into the released modules (not talking about modules which comprise
only one application like quanta). "KDE CVS" is in my opinion everything in
the cvs.kde.org repository including kdenonbeta and kdeextragear* and others.

> kdeutils, kdenetwork, kdegraphics, kdepim, kdemultimedia, kdegames.
> Please add to this list if I forgot some important module.

What is "core"? What is "important"? Why is kdeadmin included? I guess you
wanted to list all the modules released at "KDE release time" which then
includes arts, kdeaddons, kdeartwork, kdeedu, kdesdk, kdetoys as well. It
makes no sense to have different rules for e.g. kdeaddons than kdeutils.

> kdenonbeta because it's not released, translated or otherwise published.

kdenonbeta can and is translated partly.

> 4) It should "fit nicely" into KDE, meaning look&feel, use of KDE core

If you mean the KDE style guide (current or future), then say it. :-)

> comments, additions, flames?

Preventing app duplication was already mentioned. Perhaps we should add some
endorsement that it's legal/possible to remove an application if it doesn't
confirm to one of these points even if the continued support in terms of
translation, documentation and release management is not guaranteed. [1]

Bye,
   Steve

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=103696009329083&w=2