Removing "Custom pages" feature from KOrganizer

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Mar 5 16:46:33 GMT 2024

On Montag, 4. März 2024 09:06:10 CET Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just saw a bug report that "Edit with Qt Designer" button in KOrganizer's
> "Custom Pages" settings dialog doesn't work. The button actually works for
> me, but it made me realized that even after all those years I don't
> actually know or understand what this settings page is supposed to do...
>
> After reading the code I *believe* it's suppose to let you add a new custom
> UI into the incidence editor so that you can have UI for custom
> X-KORGANIZER-* properties in incidences.

Exactly.

> The only way this could IMO work would be with QUiLoader, but I only found a
> single reference to it, and that's in the settings page code and there are
> no references to the configuration outside of the settings page's code.
>
> So, since this feature apparently doesn't work *for years* without anyone
> complaining, is there are any reason to fix  it and keep it, or are we OK
> with removing it?

This looks like a "because we can" feature from 25 years ago to me, from a
time when we were dealing with iCal files that only lived on your local
computer and you could actually rely on nothing else messing up your custom
properties.

IIRC KAddressBook had a similar feature, which was also removed for similar
reasons.

Regards,
Volker