How to deal with encrypted messages

Axel Braun axel.braun at gmx.de
Thu Sep 22 11:25:05 BST 2022

Hello Felix,

Am Mittwoch, 21. September 2022, 12:55:29 CEST schrieb Felix Tiede:
> Am Mittwoch, 21. September 2022, 12:33:18 CEST schrieb Axel Braun:

> > How about automatic decryption? GnuPG key might be entered once at start
> > of
> > KMail, or even stored in kwallet (despite of security considerations).
> >
> > Any other ideas or plans?
>
> Just my 2ยข on this:
>
> First, the GPG passphrase is cached, not indefinitely long, but it works for
> some time without re-entering.

Yes, IIRR that can be set somewhere....mostly 24h so similar

> Second, I work with KMail and encrypted messages on a laptop. I actually
> prefer KMail to not automatically display an encrypted message on screen -
> the system doesn't know if or if not someone else is looking at the screen
> at the time of switching between mails.

Having someone looking over your shoulder is in general a privacy risk...

> And at last, a message can be stored decrypted in another folder and,
> security considerations aside, I assume (I've never tried), in that case,
> the message is indexed by Akonadi and can be searched.

right, there is an option to copy a message decrypted to a folder, which is
some manual effort (if it cant be automted somehow - did not look at this)

> While I do see the inconveniences caused by those limitations I don't see
> how this can be changed without inherently compromising security for other
> users.
>
> It might be worth to consider an option to do the decryption/decrypted
> storing automatically, based on an option somewhere in KMail's settings.

As said, the invonvenience is in either clicking each mail before one can see
the content, or to manually copy a mail decrypted to somewhere.
Having this driven by a flag is generally a good idea.

Cheers
Axel