How to deal with encrypted messages

Felix Tiede lists at pc-tiede.de
Wed Sep 21 11:55:29 BST 2022

Am Mittwoch, 21. September 2022, 12:33:18 CEST schrieb Axel Braun:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if there is some plan to improve the handling of encrypted messages
> in KMail.
>
> Currently each encrypted message has to be clicked individually to see the
> content. Messages are excluded from search by this, and it is in fact not
> possible to work efficiently with encryption.
>
> In short - KMail is not useable for this.
>
> How about automatic decryption? GnuPG key might be entered once at start of
> KMail, or even stored in kwallet (despite of security considerations).
>
> Any other ideas or plans?

Just my 2ยข on this:

First, the GPG passphrase is cached, not indefinitely long, but it works for
some time without re-entering.

Second, I work with KMail and encrypted messages on a laptop. I actually
prefer KMail to not automatically display an encrypted message on screen - the
system doesn't know if or if not someone else is looking at the screen at the
time of switching between mails.

And at last, a message can be stored decrypted in another folder and, security
considerations aside, I assume (I've never tried), in that case, the message
is indexed by Akonadi and can be searched.

While I do see the inconveniences caused by those limitations I don't see how
this can be changed without inherently compromising security for other users.

It might be worth to consider an option to do the decryption/decrypted storing
automatically, based on an option somewhere in KMail's settings.

--
BOFH Excuse #8:

static buildup