How to deal with encrypted messages

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Sat Oct 22 17:56:07 BST 2022

Hi,

This is the development mailing list. This question is more suitable for the
kdepim-users list.

> Currently each encrypted message has to be clicked individually to see the
> content.

You can enable automatic decryption of mails. Go to settings -> Security ->
Reading -> "Attempt decryption of encrypted messages when viewing" (see
screenshot)

>Messages are excluded from search by this, and it is in fact not possible to
work efficiently with encryption.

Yes the current state is that the decrypted text is not indexed. Help is
highly welcome ;) And this work can also been funded! Just get in contact with
me.

There is a "decrypt" filter, to replace your encrypted mails with a decrypted
one - in combination with copy you can create a local copy of the decrypted
mails. Just keep in mind, if you simply run this filter on an IMAP folder, the
decrypted content reach the server, too!

> How about automatic decryption?
> GnuPG key might be entered once at start of KMail, or even stored in kwallet
(despite of security considerations).

Technically we have no extra layer over gnupg to control those. So you need to
nudge gpg-agent for doing this. Just use the internet to find solutions for
your use case. It would be nice if you document your findings in the userbase,
so we one site where others can find easy solutions:
https://userbase.kde.org/KMail

Some hints:
* To cache the passphrase it is `default-cache-ttl` setting in gpg-agent.
* To feed the passphrase from kwallet `pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-
kwallet`.

Regards,

hefee