Support WKS publishing from within Kleopatra

Felix Tiede lists at pc-tiede.de
Tue Apr 5 12:27:49 BST 2022

Hey Ingo,

Am Dienstag, 5. April 2022, 09:24:20 CEST schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> Hi Felix,
>
> On Montag, 4. April 2022 17:42:15 CEST Felix Tiede wrote:
> > Kmail's account wizard already supports it, yet it is unavailable for
> > existing keys and accounts: Publish a PGP key on the mail provider's WKD
> > using the WKS process.
>
> Yes, that's still missing in Kleopatra. See https://dev.gnupg.org/T5334
> which is the high-level task for improving the support for WKS/WKD in
> Kleopatra.

Interesting.
My patch so far only supports publishing a key, not searching/downloading it.

> > Some time ago I fiddled with it, basically copying src/commands/
> > exportopenpgpcertstoserver.*, modifying it to create a publish request
> > with
> > a command line call to gpg-wks-client, then reading that request from a
> > temporary file, building an email from it and attempting to send it using
> > the Akonadi transport associated with the sender mail address.
> > That patch was against Kleopatra-18.x.
> >
> > Back then it was only supported to publish at the key's first user id's
> > provider and address, it has meanwhile been amended to support publishing
> > for each key's user id.
>
> Sounds good.

Thanks.
It's currently implemented as a context menu entry for each User ID, like the
entry for the key itself in the keylist, where the latter uses the key's first
user id at all times, the former tries to get a mail transport for the ID
before trying.

> > The other day I finally got round to reproduce the same with
> > Kleopatra-21.12, which in turn required a patch for Libkleo-21.12, since I
> > need Libkleo to provide me with the path to the gpg-wks-client binary.
> >
> > And now for the point of writing it all:
> > I want to write a MR for Kleopatra to get the feature into the main
> > distribution of Kleopatra.
> > So, as a first step I created a MR for Libkleo to provide Kleopatra with
> > the path to the gpg-wks-client binary - and in the course of this MR I've
> > learned about QGpgME namespace which provides a direct interface to
> > GnuPG's WKS client.
> >
> > However, since I'm not really that proficient in rewriting my old patch to
> > work with QGpgME::WKSPublishJob, I am afraid I'd need assistance with
> > that.
>
> That's what this mailing list is about. For more direct assistance we could
> also meet at the #kontact IRC channel at Libera.Chat.

I'm rarely on IRC these days, but it's an option, yes.

> > So, would a MR with "the old way" of doing it - calling an external
> > binary,
> > creating, writing, reading, parsing a temporary file - be accepted into
> > Kleopatra or do I need to fully rewrite it for QGpgME::WKSPublishJob
> > before
> > creating the MR?
>
> I'm afraid that I won't accept such an MR. Using QGpgME Jobs is the
> recommended way to interact with GnuPG via GpgME. (Another way is via Assuan
> transactions, e.g. for smartcard support, but that's not an option here.)

I've attached the (old) kleopatra-21.12.3 patch to this mail, so you can have
a look at what I did and we can discuss porting it to QGpgME.

Or I can create a MR anyway and we can discuss via the review process,
whatever works better.

> BTW, I don't know your current status, e.g. whether you are a student, but
> in case you are interested: I'm pretty sure g10 Code GmbH would pay for
> your work. They are looking for developers and maybe even student workers.

Actually, I'm neither a professional developer nor looking for a job.
If g10 Code is indeed interested in paying me for this work, it would be
possible for me to accept payment in a legal manner with appropriate taxing
information, though.

Regards,
Felix