List of Authors in aboutdata.cpp

David Bryant davidbryant at gvtc.com
Fri Sep 3 17:45:52 BST 2021

On Monday, August 23, 2021 4:36:27 PM CDT Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> The following repositories are the most important ones that make up KMail:

OK. Thanks, Ingo. I have spme revised statistics. Here's how I got them.

-- I reviewed the list of repos you sent me, and went over the list of repos
in the PIM group at gitlab. I decided to include 5 more repos than the 27 you
mentioned. The list of repos I used is attached as "PIMcomponents.txt".

-- I wrote a couple of simple scripts to clone  the 32 repos, then extract the
"Author:" lines from all 32 git history logs. I'll supply the scripts to
anybody who wants them.

-- I also combed through the list of authors and other contributors mentioned
in the Help --> About Kmail widget. There are 29 people credited there who did
not appear anywhere in the list constructed from "Author:" lines in the git
log files. I researched those 29 in the git history file I had previously
extracted from the old https://github.com/KDE/kdepim repository. I found 89
places where those people were mentioned as having supplied a patch that
somebody else committed to the repo, back in the days when KMail was using
svn. That list of people is attached as "AuthorsofPatches.pdf". I lumped these
29 people in with the automated list mentioned above.

-- Now came the hard part. I sorted the big list of "Author:" lines on the
name field, and counted how many times each name appeared. I went through the
resulting summary list several ways, looking for alternative spellings of the
same name. For example, Ingo Klöcker appears as both "Ingo Klcker" and "Ingo
Klöcker", and Hoàng Đức Hiếu appears as both "Hoàng Đức Hiếu" and "Hoang Duc
Hieu".  I may have missed one or two of those; if so, and you notice it,
please let me know.

-- Where people listed more than one email address, I favored xxx at kde.org over
all others, to the extent that was possible. I haven't done an exhaustive
search for the @kde.org addresses. But I did check the 66 people with 100 or
more authorship lines very carefully.

-- The resulting list is attached, as "AuthorStats.pdf". There are 565 people,
one organization (OpenUsability), and 4 bots on the list. Well,
"nobody at localhost" might not be a bot. But "Scripty" is clearly an automaton
with two names. People credited as "Authors" in the Help --> About KMail
widget are listed in red, bold; "Thanks To" folks are in blue, bold.

What else? I noticed three people (Sven Lppken, with 4 commits; also Peter
Kmmel and Richard Lrkng, with one each) whose names appear to be missing some
vowels. If anybody knows how those three last names should be spelled, please
let me know.

I'm not going to express an opinion about whose name ought to be on the list
of authors. I'd appreciate hearing what you think. I now have all the data I
need to finish the Credits & Licenses chapter in the Handbook. I'll leave the
widget until later ... when we come to a consensus, or tire of arguing, or
something.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas