September/October KDE PIM summary blog post

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Oct 23 22:18:03 BST 2021

Hi,

first something not for the blog post, but feel need to mention here to fellow
PIM devs:
Had started investigations into a range of bugs, but currently stalled there
due to yet incomplete insight, sorry to all who quickly helped me but then saw
no further reaction so far. I first need to get finally some of my feature
needs implemented to enhance my energy/motivation :) But I feel challenged by
all those bugs and should return at a later point to defeat them finally and
put them on my virtual trophy wall ;) (not that I mind others sacking them
before of course).

Here the public things from my desk:

General:
* some porting away from deprecated Qt, KF & PIM libs API
* some clean-up of code of PIM's deprecated API with no more users

EventViews/KOrganizer:
Started on-going work on reviving the calendar decoration feature.
It was added in 2007 (see last section of https://commit-digest.kde.org/
issues/2007-06-17/, respective screenshot https://commit-digest.kde.org/
issues/2007-06-17/files/korganizer_themed_decorations.png), but in the years
after while staying around suffered from lack of maintenance, having now
layout issues as well as some plugins badly or not working at all.

The plugin for "Picture of the day" from English Wikipedia has already been
restored, will be in KDE Gear 21.12:
MR (landed) -> https://invent.kde.org/pim/kdepim-addons/-/merge_requests/17
screenshot -> https://invent.kde.org/pim/kdepim-addons/uploads/
966d16b09dab6ce1a4969ee2a6da75dd/Screenshot_20211014_210315.png

A some years ago started plugin for moon phases has seen more work now and
hopefully is landing soon in time for KDE Gear 21.12 as well:
MR (draft) -> https://invent.kde.org/pim/kdepim-addons/-/merge_requests/12
screenshot -> https://invent.kde.org/pim/kdepim-addons/uploads/
4ef668e4bbf5b5cb9469714d55a99358/Screenshot_20210728_154659.png

The moon phase plugin then triggered on-going work to have calendar decoration
also shown in the month view:
MR (draft) -> https://invent.kde.org/pim/eventviews/-/merge_requests/46
screenshot -> https://invent.kde.org/pim/kdepim-addons/uploads/
ff28c7df9db45a14e87680e029a61dca/Screenshot_20211021_010202.png

Restoring and enhancing the calendar decoration feature might turn into a long
term project. An developing idea for the future would be to make these
decoration plugins generic enough to also be usable from other calendaring
solutions, like Plasma calendar widgets or apps like Kalendar. There surely
are lots of use-cases for all kind of context information or actions users
might want to have shown or available on their digital calendar to match their
respective interests & needs. Reusable plugins would help here, e.g. with
consistency across the products and with no need for reimplementation for each
individual product.

Cheers
Friedrich