July/August KDE PIM summary blog post

Krzysztof Nowicki krissn at op.pl
Tue Aug 24 20:52:24 BST 2021

Hi,

W dniu 2021-08-23 17:53:14 użytkownik Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> napisał:
> If you have contributed in July or August, a quick summary of your most
> noteworthy changes would be helpful, bonus points for corresponding
> screenshots or links to existing posts. If you noticed something noteworthy
> during the past two months,feel free to add that as well of course!

Still August, my changes just got reviewed and merged (thanks Laurent), so here we go:

== Exchange (EWS) Resource

A number of improvements and bugfixes to the Exchange (EWS) resource, including:

 * Implemented chunked requests for most operations on multiple items: Internally Exchange doesn't allow a single request to operate on more than 100 items. This has caused failures when trying to for ex. delete hundreds of e-mails in one operation. With this change the operation is split into several requests.
 * Reworked background, server-triggered updates (subscriptions): These are now done in background and don't block the resource's state machine towards the Akonadi server. This results in the Exchange mailbox being much more responsive.
 * Reduced number of forced collection synchronizations due to conflicts with locally modified items. This significantly reduces unnecessary server communication, especially for large collections.
 * Added basic handling of "server busy" state, which is encountered when Exchange receives too many requests from the EWS resource and needs to throttle. Instead of hammering the server with requests, the resource now gracefully goes offline temporarily and retries later.
 * Temporary failures during collection syncs no longer result in a fallback to a full sync. Normally a failure during an incremental sync escalates to a full sync, but unrelated errors such as expired OAuth authentications or server becoming busy should not count here.
 * Collection sync state was migrated from the configuration file to per-collection attributes.
 * Implemented progress reporting for many operations, including the long-lasting full collections sync job.
 * Fixed device key OAuth authentication, which broke due to Microsoft server-side changes.

Regards
Chris