Making unit tests first-class again across PIM repos

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Aug 11 14:03:13 BST 2021

On Mittwoch, 11. August 2021 14:21:41 CEST Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> PS. Which reminds me, the Qt MySQL driver is not compatible with the
> "latest" MySQL 5 client libraries, which triggers akonadi failures, and I
> should probably try to upstream the fix for that (the fix is,
> unfortunately, in Qt so it's more annoying than just fixing PIM)

Yeah, I was bitten by this when Tumbleweed installed the new library. I rolled
it back.

In my opinion, it is unacceptable for a library to break backwards
compatibility in such a way (except maybe in a new major release). Apparently,
all previous versions of the library accepted the dates Qt sends and now it
rejects them with a fatal error. In my view, this is the last nail in the
coffin of MySQL. I'm not aware of similar breakage with PostgreSQL which I'm
using with Tumbleweed on my laptop since quite some time without problems. (I
switched because I had serious problems with MySQL on my previous 10+ year old
laptop and never looked back.)

I suggest to switch to PostgreSQL for Akonadi instead of trying to accommodate
MySQL/MariaDB's apparently not existing backwards compatibility guarantee.

Regards,
Ingo