Race condition when deleting multiple attachments

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Apr 28 20:23:43 BST 2021

Hi,

when deleting a second attachment quickly after the first one, Akonadi runs
into a problem:
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Invalid attempt to modify the remoteID for item
1071444 from "272" to "271"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Error while handling command ModifyItems on
connection MessageViewer-43686032 (0x7fe56c4fe110)

I guess the problem is that the modification of the payload after the deletion
of the first attachment did not yet make the roundtrip KMail -> Akonadi ->
IMAP server -> Akonadi -> KMail and therefore KMail/Akonadi uses the old
remoteID for the modification of the payload after the deletion of the second
attachment.

Any ideas, how to avoid this problem? Would it be sufficient to wait for the
first Akonadi::ItemModifyJob to finish? Or do I need to wait until the
remoteID is updated? What about offline mode?

Regards,
Ingo