Performance issues on Tumbleweed

Jason Bailey jbailey at etv.net
Wed Apr 28 08:35:53 BST 2021

My KMail2 setup on my Tumbleweed install is extremely slow to the point where
selecting a message means a 15-20 second wait before any results show. I was
reading various bits across the web that some people with large volumes of
email like me find some benefit in switching from the default backend of MySQL
to PostgreSQL. I'd like to give it a try but I don't know how to do that.

I'm running the latest SUSE Tumbleweed on a Dell Optiplex 7070. I don't see a
postgres package for Akonadi when I search so does that mean PostgreSQL is not
an option for me?

I did see a doc on userbase.kde.org referenced by a few forum posts but it
didn't really answer my question. Could one of you put me in the right
direction? If wiping out my local KMail config and rebuilding on postgres is
easier, I'm okay with that -- all my mail is server side, so I'm not afraid of
losing anything.

Thanks!!