Knode source code

Wolfgang Bauer wbauer at tmo.at
Thu Sep 24 18:17:43 BST 2020

Hi!

Somebody (Oliver Trichet) actually ported knode to Qt5/KF5 years ago, I found
it a while ago at https://cgit.kde.org/clones/kdepim/otrichet/knode.git/ and
https://cgit.kde.org/scratch/otrichet/knode.git/ .

Unfortunately, as these were just personal scratch repos they apparently got
lost in the move to gitlab.
However, copies of them exist at github:
1) https://github.com/d-graef/kde-knode
2) https://github.com/d-graef/KNode5

The first contains the actual porting work and is a clone of the full kdepim
repo, the latter is based upon it and contains knode stand-alone.

Repo 2 also contains a patch by me to make it build with the latest KDEPIM
libraries at the time (2017), I additionally have local patches to build it
with the current versions.

So repo 2 would probably be the best starting point.

The state in short: subscribing to news groups and reading articles works, but
writing articles does not (IIRC the code is disabled, and probably still needs
porting work).
Of course there may be other glitches and/or features still disabled.

And it should be noted that it also requires the NNTP kio-slave that was part
of kdepim-runtime in the past, but has been removed in 16.08.0.
But the code from an older version (16.04.3) can easily be built standalone.
I think it probably would make sense to add it to knode itself though, if it
is going to be revived.

Although, I just tried it again (haven't used it in a while), and it crashed
while fetching the list of newsgroups. :-(
Maybe relevant output:
kf.kio.core: finished() called twice! Please fix the kio_nntp KIO slave

So it probably needs adjustment to recent changes in KIO (it certainly still
worked a couple of months ago). I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can fix
it.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang