KDE PIM mentorship request

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Jun 16 11:52:14 BST 2020

Daniel Vrátil - 16.06.20, 11:00:54 CEST:
> On Monday, 15 June 2020 23:27:41 CEST Ihor Antonov wrote:
> > On Monday, 15 June 2020 04:44:39 PDT Daniel Vrátil wrote:
[…]
> > > Once you get everything compiled and running, just pick one of the
> > > tasks you've listed above and start working on it. If you need
> > > any help, just feel free to ask. Someone from the team will
> > > gladly help you or point you in the right direction.
> > >
> > > /Daniel
> >
> > Thanks Daniel, I most certainly will!
> >
> > Also thanks to Glen, Martin and Ingo for sharing useful links.
> > I am familiar with docker, but it is not quite clear how to test UI
> > software from docker. Setting up X forwarding is a bit cumbersome
> > (left alone Wayland scenarios). What is the "mainstream" way of
> > test-driving your own work (without breaking things installed with
> > package manager) ?
> For X11 it's actually fairly simple, you just expose the X11 socket
> into the container and graphical applications will magically work.
> The PIM docker [0] does all the magic for you. The advantage of this
> approach really is a complete isolation of the development version of
> PIM from the rest of the system, so there's no risk of accidentally
> corrupting/breaking your stable "production" PIM. I created the
> container to make it easier for new contributors to start
> contributing to PIM, I don't use it myself, though as I find it a bit
> too clumsy for some complex development/debugging. I'm a maniac, so I
> just use git master as my production setup. I can't say I'd recommend
> this for everyone, but at the same time it has worked really well for
> me for many years. And when something breaks I'm at least motivated
> to fix it quickly

Another approach is to use a different session:

https://pointieststick.com/2019/06/25/an-easier-way-to-test-plasma/

https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/development#Plasma

However as far as I understand one has to compile all of Plasma then as
well in order to be able to actually have a login session with self-compiled
stuff.

I used the following script some time ago which basically worked for just
picking up what I compiled myself using kdesrc-build and using the system
stuff for the rest:

%:~/.config/plasma-workspace/env> bzr cat -r somerev kdedirs.sh
#!/bin/bash

export KF5=/home/kde/install
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5

export PATH=$KF5/bin:$QTDIR/bin:$PATH

export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$KF5/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plugins:$QTDIR/plugins:$QT_PLUGIN_PATH
export QML2_IMPORT_PATH=$KF5/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qml:$QTDIR/qml

export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$KF5/share:/usr/share
export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$KF5/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KF5/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

*However* that way I had an interesting mix between system and self-compiled
stuff… occasionally there was some breakage due to that.

Ciao,
--
Martin