PIM license exception

Christophe Giboudeaux christophe at krop.fr
Mon Aug 10 21:15:23 BST 2020

Hello,

A lot of files in PIM repositories have an exception paragraph in their
license headers. [1]

I tried looking in the Qt 2 and Qt 3 code to find something related, but this
looks specific to the PIM code.

Our feeling is that the clause was useful when Qt didn't have a *GPL license
but is now completely obsolete and safe to remove without altering the files
licenses.

Does anyone remember the exact reason for  adding this paragraph?

Thanks!

[1]
 In addition, as a special exception, the copyright holders give
 permission to link the code of this program with any edition of
 the Qt library by Trolltech AS, Norway (or with modified versions
 of Qt that use the same license as Qt), and distribute linked
 combinations including the two.  You must obey the GNU General
 Public License in all respects for all of the code used other than
 Qt.  If you modify this file, you may extend this exception to
 your version of the file, but you are not obligated to do so.  If
 you do not wish to do so, delete this exception statement from
 your version.