aconadi-contacts dependeny on kmime on Windows

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Aug 6 19:14:08 BST 2020

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:38 AM Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 10:36:27 CEST Christoph Feck wrote:
> > Hello PIM developers,
> >
> > I see akonadi-contacts regularily failing on CI, because the version of
> > KMime doesn't match, see
> > https://build.kde.org/job/Applications/view/Everything%20-%20stable-kf5-qt5/
> > job/akonadi-contacts/job/stable-kf5-qt5%20WindowsMSVCQt5.14/
> >
> > Could someone please check the build metadata for akonadi-contacts?
>
> This looks more complicated than just a missing dependency info if I read the
> logs correctly:
> - KMime is retrieved as a dependency (ie. build metadata should be correct).
> - There is no Windows CI build for KMime!? That makes it hard to check which
> version was actually built, or where KMime comes from at all here.

It is perfectly fine for a project to depend on a project that no job
exists for.

This scenario is covered by the Dependency Build jobs, which build
every project that the jobs in a given Product need.
This is how Frameworks are provided to the
Plasma/Applications/Extragear jobs (as they don't rely on the
Frameworks jobs, they're separate)

> - Looking at past CI state, it alternates between working and the KMime being
> too old error every few builds. It breaks when the dependency version is
> bumped, but then gets back to working without any code change.

The Dependency Build jobs run once a week, which would explain this -
it breaks when it bumps, then after a few days the Dependency Build
comes through and updates KMime, after which the next build of
akonadi-contacts succeeds.

> So I'm a bit lost here on what is happening, the lack of a KMime Windows build
> on the CI would seem suspicious though.
>
> Regards,
> Volker

Cheers,