Replacing Accounts Wizard with Online Accounts

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Wed Oct 9 13:06:33 BST 2019

Le mercredi 9 octobre 2019, 10:28:50 CEST Daniel Vrátil a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> for Qt6/KF6, we need to port Account Wizard away from Kross, and QML is the
> obvious candidate. I even wrote down a task a while ago to port AW to QML
> (TT9421)
>
> During this year's Akademy I made a proof of concept integration between
> Online Accounts and Akonadi and that makes me wonder whether we should
> bother with porting AW to QML, or if we could drop it and use the similar
> wizard-like infrastructure provided by OA and port the AW plugins to QML
> and OA instead.
>
> This is /not/ about replacing the general account management in Kontact yet,
> but purely just the AW. However, it may pave the way to replace our account
> management with OA in the future. I can imagine KOrganizer or KAddressbook
> could just embed the OA KCM in their "Accounts" settings tab...
>
> The current account management in KMail is complained about frequently by
> users as setting up an account is a rather tedious task. At the same time OA
> support is being often requested by users, so I think replacing AW with OA
> could be a good first step to improve general user experience when it comes
> to account management.
>
> Opinions?
>
> /Dan

Hi,
I support replacing old account wizard by it if we have the same features as
adding all type of account, creating identity, add ispdb support.
Regards

--
Laurent Montel | laurent.montel at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
KDAB (France) S.A.S., a KDAB Group company Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53,