Replacing Accounts Wizard with Online Accounts

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Wed Oct 9 09:28:50 BST 2019

Hi all,

for Qt6/KF6, we need to port Account Wizard away from Kross, and QML is the
obvious candidate. I even wrote down a task a while ago to port AW to QML
(TT9421)

During this year's Akademy I made a proof of concept integration between
Online Accounts and Akonadi and that makes me wonder whether we should bother
with porting AW to QML, or if we could drop it and use the similar wizard-like
infrastructure provided by OA and port the AW plugins to QML and OA instead.

This is /not/ about replacing the general account management in Kontact yet,
but purely just the AW. However, it may pave the way to replace our account
management with OA in the future. I can imagine KOrganizer or KAddressbook
could just embed the OA KCM in their "Accounts" settings tab...

The current account management in KMail is complained about frequently by
users as setting up an account is a rather tedious task. At the same time OA
support is being often requested by users, so I think replacing AW with OA
could be a good first step to improve general user experience when it comes to
account management.

Opinions?

/Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683