Disabling akonadi test runner infrastructure across all repositories

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Nov 18 01:55:19 GMT 2019

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 10:18 AM Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:

> On Sunday, 17 November 2019 21:20:11 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El dissabte, 16 de novembre de 2019, a les 7:02:04 CET, Ben Cooksley va
> escriure:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > For some time now the Akonadi Test Runner infrastructure has had
> > > issues on the CI system where it will fail to properly shutdown the
> > > akonadiserver (and associated subprocesses) that it starts up for
> > > tests.
> > >
> > > This leads to jobs on the CI system becoming indefinitely stuck as
> > > CTest will wait indefinitely for subprocesses spawned by tests to
> > > exit. This in turn requires manual cleanup.
> > >
> > > Tonight jobs for kdepim-runtime and akonadi itself both required
> > > manual assistance to complete. Other PIM repositories have in the past
> > > required similar assistance.
> > >
> > > Given that the issue is not limited to a single test or repository,
> > > i'd therefore like to propose no-oping the entire CMake macro
> > > responsible for the akonadi test runner framework and disabling all
> > > tests that make use of it globally across all repositories until this
> > > issue can be rectified.
> >
> > I think it would be really sad to lose all these tests, what's the timeframe
> > we're speaking here to try to fix them?
>
> see replies to the other threads on CI test hangs, I've pushed a possible fix
> (taken from KIO) to the affected repos. Now waiting to see if that's effective
> and whether all places were found.

The test hang in the case of Akonadi and associated repositories is
unrelated to kdeinit5/klauncher/etc issues, as the problem in this
instance is the akonadiserver instance launched by the test framework
not being shutdown and cleaned up prior to the test and it's
associated wrappers exiting. I'm therefore not sure if the same fix
will apply here...

> Regards,
> Volker

Cheers,