Thank you!

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat May 4 09:29:10 BST 2019

Hi.

As I just recognized again the value of gratitude, while I am not quite
satisfied with the state of KDEPIM/Akonadi as of 18.08, not yet having
easy access to a more recent version in Debian Unstable:

Thank you!

Thank you to Dan, David, Volker and all the other developers who put
effort into making KDEPIM/Akonadi a better experience for all users.

Yesterday I just read the recent blog posts about the improvements
during the KDEPIM print and I can imagine it was quite a lot of effort.

I am looking forward to have a go with KDEPIM/Akonadi 19.04 or later,
whichever version of KDEPIM/Akonadi Sandro or someone else packages next
for Debian.

I am also looking forward to the completion of the rewrite of the
indexing/search stuff, as as far as I understand it is one of the last
missing pieces for a major overhaul of Akonadi as thought out by Dan.

I still believe that in the end Akonadi would need to make it completely
superfluous for users to deal with any database stuff or even do an
'akonadictl fsck' as long as the underlying filesystem is stable. If this
can't be fixed within Akonadi – Amarok, Digikam, Firefox, … are also
using databases – by switching to some other kind of database that works
reliably without any user interaction. But that would be for future
improvements after the great big "refactoring" in Akonadi.

Thanks,
--
Martin