Bumping SONAME

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Mon Mar 25 19:33:11 GMT 2019

Hi,

Maybe I should really should start using the correct term SONAME, as it not a
version, it is a free text field, that you can use. Most of all projects use a
single number, so it is often called soversion.

> > nope. We do not release every month We release a new major version every 4
> > months! But what you have against a so.15? There is nothing why you should
> > be afraid of an so.15. see answers to dan for more details.
>
> Quoting Sune [1]:
>
> « Having a libfoo.so > libfoo.so.0 > libfoo.so.4.3.1 chain is just confusing
> and bad and going to bother the future you (when you reach SONAME 4). »

I see this different. It is confusing people, because they think that the
SONAME is connected to the version of the product. Yes in KDE environment we
are used to see SONAME 5, so we think, that everything, that is different, is
wrong. And if you give ABI stability within the major number it makes sense,
that you connect those two.
But we are looking at a product with unstable ABI, so we need to change
SONAME, when the ABI get updated.

> At dfaure's request a couple months ago, I wrote a basic ECM script that
> could help. The goal was to partially copy Qt's Foo.version behaviour (see
> eg. src/ corelib/QtCore.version* in qtbase).

I do not see those src/corelib/QtCore.version* files - can you give me a
weblink to those files?

> The macro only provides a list of versions to use at link time. The result
> is there:

Sorry I don't get what you macro is doing? Are you adding version based
symbols?

hefee