RFC: Akonadi NNTP resource

Pino Toscano pino at kde.org
Sun Jun 2 16:36:39 BST 2019

Hi PIM folks,

(please CC me, I'm not subscribed to this list)

due to the unmaintainer knode, some time ago I started to work on an
Akonadi resource for NNTP articles.
There was a NNTP resource done by Volker Krause in kdepim-runtime many
years ago; that resource used the NNTP KIO, which causes a number of
limitations (only one connection opened at all, difficult to interact
with, own parsing of NNTP, etc).  I ended up basically rewriting it from
scratch, using libetpan [1] (which seems to be the only stable C or C++
library handling NNTP, and widespread in modern distributions).
Also, a change I did was to make it expose the messages as plain
message/rfc822 items, which makes it possible to use OOTB in e.g. kmail.

You can find my resource in my scratch area [2]. Some time ago, I asked
Dan for feedback on it, so I'm generally sure it is not totally wrong
:-) In any case, it would be nice to get more feedback about it.

The only tricky UI bit is the newsgroups subscription: right now you
have to fill all the details when creating a new resource, then fetch
the list of newsgroups, and then tick all the ones you are interested
in.  Other than this, kmail itself may benefit from few more integration
bits, and that is something I will possibly do in the future.

PS: for now I'd like to have it usable also on older versions of
Akonadi/PIM, so there will be compatibility code in place because of
that.

[1] https://www.etpan.org/libetpan.html
[2] https://cgit.kde.org/scratch/pino/akonadi-nntp.git/

Thanks!