Akonadi errors with GMail account

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Mon Apr 15 13:53:19 BST 2019

Hi Ákos,

thanks for the testing!

On Monday, 15 April 2019 08:38:46 CEST Szőts Ákos wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I have tried a quite recently built Akonadi and I found the followings:
>
> - The huge, 12 GB+ memory consumption is gone, now the maximum the indexing
> agent eats is around 2 GB (which is still a big amount for indexing an
> e-mail, but at least not an infinite one like before).

Yes, some of the changes to the Akonadi Server should help with this. Also Qt
5.13 (will be released in May) should help bring the memory consumption of the
Akonadi Server down a bit more.

> - Multiple merge
> candidates errors are still there. One example from the log:

Note that none of our fixes contained a code to auto-repair the folder. If
your folder's broken due to the MMC error, you still have to fix it yourself
(we will have an auto-repair code for that too, eventually)

> org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Multiple merge candidates:
> org.kde.pim.akonadiserver:      ID: 352206 , RID: "15080" , GID: "" ,
> Collection: "MyFolder" ( 92 ) , Resource: "akonadi_imap_resource_5" ( 12 )
> org.kde.pim.akonadiserver:      ID: 352675 , RID: "15080" , GID: "" ,
> Collection: "MyFolder" ( 92 ) , Resource: "akonadi_imap_resource_5" ( 12 )
> org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Error     handling command CreateItem on
> connection   akonadi_imap_resource_5 (0x95fde0) org.kde.pim.akonadicore:
> Creating/updating items from the akonadi database failed: "Multiple merge
> candidates, aborting" org.kde.pim.akonadicore: Error during ItemSync:
> "Multiple merge candidates, aborting"
>
> If I recall correctly, you seemed to have an idea what might be behind this
> issue two mails earlier. Can I help somehow debug this further?

We dug deep during the PIM sprint but we still haven't identified the /actual/
cause for this. We were pretty sure it has been caused by user moving emails,
but then we noticed it also happened in folders where there were no message
moves, so we are basically back to square one :(

If you observe some behavior or scenario when you can reliably "break" the
folder, that would help us tremendously to better understand how this happens
(and thus how to fix it).

> I don't know if the following quickly repeating message has any
> significance. If so, I can create a stack trace and try to pin down where
> it comes from:
>
> org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Handler exception when handling command
> FetchItems on connection KMail Kernel ETM (0x9639a0) : Item query returned
> empty result set org.kde.pim.akonadicore: Deleting items from the akonadi
> database failed: "No items found"

In majority of cases, those should not be errors, just debug messages - it's
fine for those requests not to find the Items in the DB. It's been on my todo
list for ages to fix this...*sigh*.

> Unfortunately, the "akonadictl stop" still crashes the following
> application. If I remember correctly, I created a coredump of the crashing
> application earlier. If you need any help, please, tell me.
>
> org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol: ProcessControl: Application
> "/home/aki/Programok/kde/bin/akonadi_indexing_agent" stopped unexpectedly (
> "Process has crashed" )

If you have a backtrace that would be great!

I suppose the problem might be that the indexing agent can become unresponsive
for a longer period of time when indexing heavily, so during the shutdown the
akonadicontrol process just loses its patience with it and kills it if it
doesn't terminate within some timeout.

Also the UPDATE query errors, database deadlocks, your All Mail folder syncing
over and over, all of this should be fixed as well now  thanks to David :)

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683