No interest in bug reports of older versions of KDEPIM/Akonadi that are not older than a year anymore?

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Mon Apr 29 09:28:46 BST 2019

On Sunday, 28 April 2019 17:07:20 CEST Christophe Giboudeaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> tl;dr;
>
> On dimanche 28 avril 2019 14:45:33 CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > I disagree with that judgment.
>
> Fine, then it's your duty to backport the fixes from the 18.12 and 19.04
> branches in your packages.

This is not about backporting fixes though, is it?

> > However, 18.08 is not even a year old.
>
> and 18.12 + 19.04 were released since then. So, yes, it's obsolete.
> Backporting fixes to these old branches would most likely mean introducing
> regressions and/or build issues.
>
> If a distribution wants to keep on providing obsolete software, it's also
> its responsibility to backport the fixes. (which is close to impossible for
> pim for various reasons).

I appreciate your effort to keep our bugzilla clean, but I think it's better
to ask the reporter if they are able to reproduce the issue on a newer version
of PIM and move the bug to "WAITINGFORINFO" to give the reporter some time to
update their system, setup a VM with recent PIM or whatever and re-test the
issue. If there's no response in a reasonable amount of time (month, two?),
the bug can be closed as obsolete. But just throwing a possibly unfixed bug
away simply because the reporter is unable to test on a newer version right
away because they run a conservative distribution is not the best way to keep
them reporting more issues in the future,  IMHO.

- Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683