KTimeTracker KF5 port

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 14:37:07 BST 2019

пн, 25 мар. 2019 г. в 22:31, Sandro Knauß <sknauss at kde.org>:

> Hi,
>

> > I spent some hours to kick-start the KF5 port of KTimeTracker [1].
>
> kewl!
>
> >  1. What are the chances to get KTimeTracker back into KDE PIM
> > releases? Does it fit the product vision?
>
> release independently makes sense. So you start this process by releasing some
> versions completely independent and after that you can request a review and
> can decide whether you want continue to release independently in extragear or
> to release in the Applications umbrella. but this is topic for the kde-core-
> devel at kde.org mailing list.
>
> >  2. KTimeTracker used to support KontactInterface. However
> > KTimeTracker is in my opinion self-sufficient, there's little sense in
> > running Kontact for the KTimeTracker functionality, thus I would
> > better remove the Kontact part to reduce the amount of code to
> > support. What are your opinions on KTimeTracker vs Kontact?
> >  3. My ktimetracker.git repo is forked from kdepim.git:KDE/4.14, thus
> > the repo is huge. How do I rewrite the commit log to preserve only the
> > KTimeTracker-related history? What commands did you run to produce
> > kmail.git from kdepim.git?
>
> best ask the sysadmins, the helped us at this step. Do you know whom to ask?
>
> > Why I started work on KTimeTracker KF5: I got used to KTimeTracker
> > around 2012 and never found a better tool to track my working hours
> > per task.
>
> are you aware that there is another Qt5 base time tracker - charmtimetracker:
> https://github.com/KDAB/Charm
>
> maybe it makes sense to join forces?

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

OK, since KDEPIM/Kontact doesn't need it, then I'll aim for
KTimeTracker to join KDE Applications as an independent app. Extragear
is not that great since I would need to make my own releases.

Nicolas Alvarez extracted ktimetracker sources into a new repo [1]. I
will be committing/pushing changes there for the time being, then at
some point will file for a move to KDE Playground.

I tried Charm one year ago and didn't like it because
 1. I had to build it from sources (not packaged for Fedora).
 2. The UI was not familiar and not as easy to use (in comparison with
KTimeTracker). May be things changed over time, but I'm not willing to
spend another hour to build it from sources again.
 3. Not connected to KDE infrastructure (i18n, CI).

[1] https://cgit.kde.org/scratch/nalvarez/ktimetracker-filtered.git/?h=develop

--
Alexander Potashev