Proof of concept − KIO mail://

Pierre pinaraf at pinaraf.info
Sun Sep 23 18:29:21 BST 2018

Hi

A few weeks ago, I noticed I spent a lot of time juggling between KMail and
the other applications, searching for attachments that I did not save locally…
or trying to attach a file to an email only to find out that I did not save it
and it was only available as another attachment.
So I figured out that a mail:// KIO would be quite nice for these usecases :
from okular, I could open PDFs from sent or received emails, from KMail I
could attach a file from another email… After a few days of hacking, here is a
proof of concept :

https://cgit.kde.org/scratch/ducroquet/kiomail.git/

If you are brave enough to install and try it, don't forget when running
CMake :
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DKDE_INSTALL_USE_QT_SYS_PATHS=TRUE ..

And after make install, restart kdeinit5 (simply type the kdeinit5 command).
You can then open «mail:/» in dolphin or whatever to browse your email
attachments.

If you think this has any possible interest for users, I would gladly help
evolve this from PoC to real code…

 Pierre