Is this worth a bug report or is this an expected behavior of Kontact/Kmail?

stakanov stakanov at eclipso.eu
Wed Nov 14 08:30:50 GMT 2018

When you have a POP3 account and you e.g. loose your password, after the
password reset, a new password is asked when you check for mail (as the first
try obviously is not successful). This is good, because it makes it easy for
the user to change the password. When the user changes the POP password the
coresponding(!) SMTP password is however NOT updated.
The error message is then confusing because when you send mail now, you get
is:
server error, message could not be sent.

While the error is on the users side, and should be IMO "password or username
wrong".

As I see it, there are two bugs: SMTP should update when POP password is
updated. (can be bug or enhancement)
The second is the error message that makes it impossible for the not well "IT
educated" standard user to understand what is going on. This may cause
unnecessary helpdesk tickets and therefore I consider it a bug.

Could you please (to avoid unwanted reports) indicate me, if this is instead
expected / wanted / necessary behavior?
It would also be nice if you tell me (in case it is a bug) whether I should
report to the distribution (in this case opensuse Leap15) or to KDE bugzilla.

Thank you.