Moving serializer plugins to respective akonadi-* repos?

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Tue Mar 6 22:26:22 GMT 2018

Hey,

> this came up today in discussion with Hannah and David who are trying to get
> FatCRM working on Windows and they need the contact and calendar
> serializers. However, we are not in the situation when we would be able to
> build the entire kdepim-runtime on Windows, and FatCRM does not need
> anything else from there anyway. Moving the serializers to the akonadi-*
> repos would allow FatCRM (and potentially others non-KDEPIM Akonadi-based
> projects, if there are any) to not depend on kdepim-runtime if they don't
> need anything from there other than the serializers.
>
> The disadvantage is that applications must runtime-depend on those
> repositories even if they don't link against the libraries in them just to
> make sure they have all the serializers installed. This is not a problem for
> KDE PIM itself where everything depends on everything anyway, so we may
> just need to document the requirement somewhere.
>
> Actually, this might also be interesting in the terms of making Akonadi
> better accessible to 3rd parties who may not be interested in any of the
> crap from kdepim-runtime - Zanshin comes to mind here, as this move would
> allow them to have a tiny flatpak image or even a Windows deployment
> without dragging along stuff like POP3 resources and ITIP agents.
>
> Opinions?

the first thought, okay that make sense and sounds logic, but without kdepim-
runtime there are no resources so we end up with an empty Akonadi, with the
ability to serialize data. So the next step would be, that we need to move the
calendar/contact resources into akonadi*repos too, so we can feed Akonadi with
data to serialize? Maybe we should see the bigger picture and think about how
to restructure the repos, to make it easier for for 3rd party to use only the
nessary stack of kdepim, before starting moving stuff around...

hefee