Kontact website

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Jul 22 10:40:08 BST 2018

On Monday, 16 July 2018 01:47:41 CEST Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> Hola,
>
> last year during Akademy I started toying with an idea of having a proper
> website for Kontact to present it as a product, similar to what Krita,
> Digikam, Plasma Mobile and some other projects in KDE do. I started playing
> with the kde.org template a while ago, but today I finally managed to polish
> it and to fill it with some actual content:
>
> Live version: http://kontact.dvratil.cz (auto-updated from git)
> Git repo: https://cgit.kde.org/scratch/dvratil/kontact-kde-org.git
>
> For now most of the content is just short blurbs and outdated feature lists
> from the wikis - if you find some time, please help improving the content
> any way you see fit. Ideally we should bring up-to-date the wikis and
> cherry-pick the really cool stuff with screenshots to the website.
>
> Once the content does not suck, we can ask sysadmins to host it somewhere
> for us and point kontact.org and kontact.kde.org to the new website.
>
> Cheers,
> Dan

Thanks a lot for looking into this!

Here's an attempt on updating the KMail feature list:

<h2>Secure</h2>
<ul>
features than security or privacy.</li>
is built-in, and a setup and key generation wizard aids users in getting
started with this.(TODO: is that correct, can't seem to trigger it here?)</li>
is of course the supported, as are a number of authentication methods such as
GSSAPI (Kerberos) or XXX (TODO: what's that Google thingy, OAuth2?).</li>
can't be avoided, KMail ensures no external references can be hidden in there
to leak information or compromise your privacy. Additionally KMail's phising
protections warns about suspicious links in such emails.</li>
care of this already, KMail can integrate popular spam checkers such as
SpamAssassin or Bogofilter locally.</li>
</ul>

<h2>Powerful</h2>
<ul>
without network connectivity by (optionally) syncing your entire email
locally.</li>
accounts, giving you a lot of flexibility when wearing different hats in
multiple organizations.</li>
system support you in automating parts of your email writing.</li>
and per-paragraph spell checking language auto-detection support you when
dealing with content in multiple languages.</li>
with many small helpers to make you more efficient, such as warning about
forgotten attachments, inline attachment compression or resizing of attached
images.</li>
your emails by a multitude conditions, KMail's filtering system can also be
used for implementing arbitrary workflows as it can integrate with external
applications.</li>
messages aid in sorting and information recovery, and so do the powerful local
and remote searching capabilities.</li>
auto-detected and common mailing list management operations are directly
available from within KMail.</li>
options allow you to tweak many aspects of KMail to exactly your needs and
wishes.</li>
</ul>

<h2>Integrated</h2>
<ul>
detected and offer in-place quick reponses, and are of course fed into
KOrganizer.</li>
KAddressbook, KMail also uses avatars and crypto preferences from there.</li>
reservations in emails from certain providers and offers to add them to your
calendar.</li>
</ul>

<h2>Standard Compliant</h2>
<ul>
    <li>Supports the standard mail protocols IMAP, POP3 and SMTP.</li>
    <li>Supports push email (IMAP IDLE).</li>
    <li>Searching in IMAP folders fully supported</li>
    <li>Native support for inline OpenPGP, PGP/MIME, and S/MIME.</li>
    <li>Support for Sieve server-side filtering.</li>
</ul>