memory leak with kontact / akonadi in Leap 15

stakanov stakanov at eclipso.eu
Fri Jul 13 19:16:24 BST 2018

Hello, I hope this is the right place to ask.
I have opensuse Leap 15 with Plasma 5.12.5 LTS, Applications 17.12.3 and KDE
Frameworks 5.45.
In this asset unfortunately there is a bug that causes a consumption of nearly
the entire amount of RAM (up to 8 GB) and thus make the system unstable or
causes shutdown due to core temp over 100°C.
Not using kontact/akonadi results in a stable system.
I reported the bug to the distribution but was not able to give good
background data, so the problem will get no attention.

I would like to know if you could tell me:
how to start (provided I install kontact / akonadi debug packages) Kontact and
Akonadi in debug mode.
How to harvest the results in order to join them to the bug report.
Currently the situation is as follows:
you run e.g. two users one with kontact akonadi and pop
one with kontact akonadi and imap.
The events are reproducing after running idle for some time. Data mounts to
6GB and the system begins to swap.
You may stop akonadi and exit kontact. Then the data consumed goes down
immediately from 7 gb + 2gb swap to 2.5 gb of Ram total consumption.

When restarting kontact after this, it crashes silently (no konqi). Memory
does not mount as fast as before but some process must have been compromised
because the system shuts down due to high load and temp after some time.

You help would be highly appreciated because I think giving good bug report
data may get the attention of the maintainers of the distribution.

Thank you in advance and apologies if this is the wrong place. Feel free to
point me to the right place to achieve the above information.
Regards