debugging kmail crash

jos at vandenoever.info jos at vandenoever.info
Sat Dec 15 23:14:50 GMT 2018

Hello,

On 15.12.2018 23:57, Sandro Knauß wrote:
>> [snip]
>> The above rule moves incoming mail from kde-pim into a mail folder
>> inbox/mailinglists/kde-pim.
>> The name of that folder is not present in the configuration file. Only
>> folder number (101) is present.
>> I'd be surprised if that is a stable number. kmail2rc contains folder
>> numbers as well. The KConfig files have sections like '[Folder-142]'.
>
> well the folder numbers are ids from the underlying database that
> Akonadi
> uses. Well if you have 140 folders you will have that many entries in
> the
> folder list, but the ordering is only hold in the database. So if you
> remove
> the database you loose the mapping id <-> folder. That's why we as devs
> do not
> recommend to remove the database at all. But users learnt this bad
> behaviour
> "oh an issue" let's remove the database as first solution. Also
> deleting the
> database makes it often impossible for us to investigate the issue...
>
> But it is quite hard to find a proper unique identifier, that matches
> in all
> cases.

In the case of Maildir, how could I get out the mapping from folder path
to folder number?

>>     ~/.local/share/akonadi
>
> here the database / data lives
>
>>     ~/.config/akonadi
>
> this is the configuration of akonadi
>>
>> Akonadi is meant to be a cache so I figured I might just stop akonadi,
>> remove ~/.local/share/akonadi and start akonadi to get it back in a
>> sort
>> of fresh state.
>
> Great an issue that is persistent. So at least we now know that the
> issue
> comes from your data.

Not per se. The crash occurs for any mail I open or for opening the menu
Settings -> Configure KMail.
kmail --view ... also consistently crashes with every mail.

>> I'll continue the debugging, but have to say it's a tough job.
>
> welcome to our world :D
>
> Did you used akonadiconsole already?
> Is it maybe the mail you want to look at that triggers the bug?
> As the issue is inside MessageViewer this is maybe triggered by one
> specific
> mail. Do you know at what mail it crashes? try to open it via
> akonadiconsole.
> And via kmail --view <path>
> But this does not explain why akonadi_control stops. But maybe we see
> two
> issues.

I've now installed akonadiconsole. The logging tab does not show
anything Critial or Fatal.
Upon starting akonadiconsole, it says:

Failed to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/tmp/akonadi-oever.0b6D91/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL:
Unable to connect

But it connects to akonadi fine. However, the browser seems
inconsistent. My 'archive' folder has 14k mails, yet, the browser shows
only 3. See screenshot.
When I double click a mail entry, akonadiconsole crashes with the
familiar backtrace.

Cheers,
Jos

Received signal 11 SEGV_MAPERR 0000bbadbeef
#0 0x7f4ac5c7b19e <unknown>
#1 0x7f4ac460207c <unknown>
#2 0x7f4ac5c7b687 <unknown>
#3 0x7f4ad5cdff10 <unknown>
#4 0x7f4ab717d950 <unknown>
#5 0x7f4ab7208d83 <unknown>
#6 0x7f4ab72091d8 <unknown>
#7 0x7f4ab72af0e5 <unknown>
#8 0x7f4ab72afc4f QScriptEngine::QScriptEngine()
#9 0x7f4ac29265b2 Grantlee::ScriptableTagLibrary::ScriptableTagLibrary()
#10 0x7f4ac28fa093 Grantlee::Engine::loadDefaultLibraries()
#11 0x7f4ac290e04b Grantlee::Parser::Parser()
#12 0x7f4ac29195a8 Grantlee::TemplatePrivate::compileString()
#13 0x7f4ac2919827 Grantlee::TemplateImpl::setContent()
#14 0x7f4ac28f6a80 Grantlee::Engine::newTemplate()
#15 0x7f4ac291b3a5 Grantlee::FileSystemTemplateLoader::loadByName()
#16 0x7f4ac2b54bc9 GrantleeTheme::QtResourceTemplateLoader::loadByName()
#17 0x7f4ac2b4da06 GrantleeTheme::Theme::render()
#18 0x7f4ad8a66950 MessageViewer::ViewerPrivate::displaySplashPage()