Test runtime for Akonadi

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Wed Aug 29 09:49:34 BST 2018

On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 21:15:12 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018, 23:20 Daniel Vrátil, <dvratil at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi Ben,
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> > I noticed that the CI tooling script seems to start kdeinit5 automatically
> > before executing the tests. Is this a recent change? I cannot think of any
> > change in Akonadi that could've caused this.
>
> The CI tests have started kdeinit5 for a very long time (back in the KDE 4
> days we would start kdeinit4 and nepomukserver) so this change shouldn't be
> the cause.

Hmm, I see. I could swear I started seeing the "kf5.kinit.klauncher: new app"
log messages in CI test runs only recently, but then again my memory sucks.

> It is virtually a hard requirement we start kdeinit5 due to the limitation
> of CTest not allowing processes from tests to remain running.
>
> > I wonder if running the isolated tests inside its own DBus session would
> > help
> > - not only improving the isolation but also getting us full control over
> > the
> > test session...
>
> Is there any way of easily telling why Akonadi isn't exiting, before we
> start looking into full isolation?

Hmm, hard to tell: looking at the last time it got stuck [0] the "klauncher"
messages indicate that Akonadi is up and running and that the "testrunner" has
started - whether the actual test executable has been launched I cannot tell.
It may have even successfully passed and exited (because on success we don't
see its stdout) and either the Akonadi test utility is stuck and not exiting,
or it exited and only Akonadi remained running, preventing ctest from exiting.

I'll try looping the Akonadi test suite in my docker locally to see if maybe I
can reproduce it getting stuck. Otherwise I think the only way to find out
what's stuck is to SSH into the Docker container when this happens again and
see which components are left running and what state the whole thing is in :(

Btw doesn't ctest have some form of a timeout after which it would kill all
children mercilessly? It may cause the mysql sever to remain running in the
background afterwards (because it's launched indirectly), but that should go
away automatically at the end of the test run when the Docker container is
stopped, shouldn't it?

[0] https://build.kde.org/job/Applications%20akonadi%20kf5-qt5%20SUSEQt5.9/242/consoleFull

www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org