KDE Pim: depdendencies

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Tue Apr 17 10:07:20 BST 2018

On Tuesday, 17 April 2018 10:59:05 CEST Sandro Knauß wrote:
> Hey,

Hey,

nice job!

> I sat down again to prepare the discussion about internal/external
> dependencies inside KDE Pim and made some graphs [1]. It shows every created
> target (including test applications etc.)

Does it make sense to include the test applications in the graph? They are not
relevant for deployment and only rarely, if ever, depend on something extra
that the code they are testing does not (except for QtTest of course). Just
makes the graph more overwhelming than it needs to be :-)

> including all external
> dependencies. as datasource I scanned the cmake files for
> target_link_libraries and add_library to find name aliases.
>
> The "raw" graph is very hard to analyse as it is overwhelming. I tried to
> reduce the information and sort the nodes, so dot can better display the
> graph (detailed-deps-simple.svg). I removed all implicit dependencies and
> use coloring:
> green - external dependencies
> dark-green - tier 0 (only depend on external dependencies)
> light-blue - leaf nodes / edges to leaf nodes
> strong lines - inter-package dependencies

> The svg has tooltips to make it easier to find the partners of links.
> But I'm still missing a good viewer t browse the svg/dot file. I'm happy
> about any input how to improve...

I've recently used viz.js on some other project to visualize class
dependencies. It's a JS library that can visualize Dot files directly in the
browser and it performs pretty well even with large graphs, maybe check that
out?

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683