Simplifying Korganizer

Olivier Churlaud olivier at churlaud.com
Sun Sep 3 22:35:12 BST 2017

Hello,

I would like to do a very bold proposition.

To give some context, Korganizer is the KDE application I use the most after
KMail. And even though, I have trouble to switch between the views that are
quite mixed :

 - Agenda
 - Month
 - Timeline
 - Tasks
 - Journal

Korganizer's strenght is in the event management : so I imagine a calendar,
with 3 views:
 - all the events in a list,
 - an agenda (with a focus on a month or a week or a day)
 - timelines (without focus, just endless lines that loads when shown, or
based on the 3 agenda focus).

First comment here : Month shall be a subset of agenda, which is currently not
the case, and I find it always strange.

Tasks: Now that Zanshin is mature, why do we need to have tasks in Korganizer?
Zanshin beeing well integrated in Kontact, I would remove that from
korganizer, making it easier to use.

And what is Journal? I have no answer for this, but I think that a specialized
application integrated in Korganizer would anyway be better.

This would drastically simplify the toolbar menu, and the Korganizer code.
In term of UX, currently it's hard to know in which view and which content we
are : events ? journal ? tasks ? are they the same content ? well if not,
being in the same window with the exact same menus is very strange for
users....

What do you think ? If you think it is relevant and a good idea, I'm ok to do
a patch in this direction. But since it would be quite a destructive patch, I
think we must talk about this. And I'm open to discussion and argumentation,
if it is possible.

Cheers,
Olivier