Simplifying Korganizer

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Sep 12 10:51:44 BST 2017

Hello,

On Tuesday, 12 September 2017 08:14:58 CEST laurent Montel wrote:
> So people use korganizer as single apps. He doesn"t want to know 3
> differents program name for it.
> For sure we will not split korganizer in 3 different apps.

Olivier's point make sense in my opinion. Honestly I think you're being over-
conservative here.

The reason you give for status quo is in fact making up a reason after the
facts. Let's be honest with ourselves for a minute, the only reason for
Korganizer being a single application is the fact that it's the application
which deals with the format supported by KCal (back in the kresources days and
before) and it turns out this format spans across three different domains.

So it's really a technical concern which led to its user interface
organization, not the other way around as you seem to imply.

The format in question really deals with radically different concepts from a
user point of view... No, journaling has nothing to do with calendaring. Task
management is slightly related to calendaring because you want due dates of
todos to appear in your calendar, but that's about it, for any other uses the
user point of view and mindset while dealing with calendars or todos are very
different.

I wouldn't be shocked if we had three apps: one for calendaring, one for
journaling (although I somehow doubt software journaling is very used, unlike
note taking) and one for task management.

Obviously I'm one of those users who never use any other view in KOrganizer
than the calendar one. The rest in there is just clutter to me. With my
software engineering hat on, it looks like quite some waste maintenance wise.
With my pretend to be GUI designer hat on, conflating all those domains
(calendar, journal and task) in a single app prevent from having a proper
experience in any of those domains.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net