Setting 4.14 PIM bugs to UNMAINTAINED

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Sat Jan 21 22:31:11 GMT 2017

Hey,

First of all, thanks for doing bug triage. It is good to get a more acurate
view of what bugs are still open and care about and where we have no
possibiltiy to close them, because they are too old.

> I'd like arrange the second stage of my KDE PIM bug cleaning campaign. This
> time, I would close all KDE PIM bugs that have never been confirmed for a
> Frameworks-based version.

+1

> I would skip the WAITINGFORINFO step and set them directly to UNMAINTAINED.
Of course, I plan to leave a comment on every closed bug again, offering to
reopen if the bug is still valid, and explaining the whole process.

One outcome from the first waves, if I know correctly was, that users can't
reopen bugs, because they don't have the needed permissions to do so. So
requesting from bugreporters to reopen bugs without them to have the
permissions, is very strange :) So please make sure, that a normal bugreporter
can acually do the steps you supose.

I think it is not good to skip the WAITFORINFO, because with this itermediate
step it feels more friendly. A bugreporter gets actually one notice, that we
want input from him and after 2/3 month we can than close them.

> A seemingly large portion of users still uses KDE PIM 4.14. The number of
> affected bugs would be huge as well. That's why I want to be extra sure that
> all PIM devs are OK with my plan.

Yes but we as PIM devs don't provide any updates for 4.14 anymore, so it
doesn't make sense for us to keep bugreports for unsupported versions. If
distros ship that version longer, they need to handle the bugs themself. I
know this sounds very harsh. If anyone still using a 4 based version, he
should get into touch with inovation and kolab, both provide still updates.
Maybe it is good to mention inovation and kolab in the closing comment, so
users can choose?

I hope we don't pile up with so many bugreports, where no one ever responded a
single line in the 5.X version.

Best Regards,

sandro