kmail: Storage of messages in subfolders

Rüdiger Härtel r_haertel at gmx.de
Sun Jan 1 06:55:01 GMT 2017

Am Sonntag, 1. Januar 2017, 07:24:44 CET schrieb Volker Wysk:
> Am Samstag, 31. Dezember 2016, 18:54:34 CET schrieb Rüdiger Härtel:

> > > This should be .mailing-lists.directory/digikam .
> >
> > That is what I expected. But there is no such directory. But Kmail has
> > emails in its structure mailing-lists/digikam. So where does kmail store
> > these emails?
>
> I'm not using subfolders in the Local Folders hierarchy, because I store
> everything in my IMAP server. But now I've made a subfolder "bla" of the
> "drafts" folder in the second level, in order to demonstrate it:
>
> ~/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0 $ ls -la
> insgesamt 36
> drwxr-xr-x  9 v v 4096 Jan  1 07:15 .
> drwxr-xr-x 65 v v 4096 Dez 31 23:37 ..
> drwxr-xr-x  5 v v 4096 Dez 19 18:07 drafts
> drwxr-xr-x  3 v v 4096 Jan  1 07:15 .drafts.directory
> drwxr-xr-x  5 v v 4096 Dez 19 18:07 inbox
> drwxr-xr-x  5 v v 4096 Dez 19 18:05 outbox
> drwxr-xr-x  5 v v 4096 Dez 19 18:05 sent-mail
> drwxr-xr-x  5 v v 4096 Dez 19 18:07 templates
> drwxr-xr-x  5 v v 4096 Dez 19 18:07 trash
>
> ~/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0 $ ls -la .drafts.directory
> insgesamt 12
> drwxr-xr-x 3 v v 4096 Jan  1 07:15 .
> drwxr-xr-x 9 v v 4096 Jan  1 07:15 ..
> drwxr-xr-x 5 v v 4096 Jan  1 07:15 bla

On the file system there is no .mailing-lists.directory folder.

I repeated your step with the subfolder in drafts. Kmail does not create the
.drafts.directory folder on the filesystem. Then I copied an email into the
bla-folder (within kmail) just to see if the directory on the filesystem is
created only when needed. But still there is no .drafts.direcotry folder in
the filesystem.

For what I know akonadi stores metadata not the real data. However from what I
see now I conclude this is not the case. So, is this an akonadi issue then?

Rüdiger