Setting 4.14 PIM bugs to UNMAINTAINED

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Sat Jan 21 11:22:47 GMT 2017

On Friday, January 20, 2017 11:56:35 PM CET kdenis at posteo.de wrote:
> Dear pims,

Hi Denis,

first, thanks for all your triaging work. It's not much fun, but it's an
important task.

> I'd like arrange the second stage of my KDE PIM bug cleaning campaign. This
> time, I would close all KDE PIM bugs that have never been confirmed for a
> Frameworks-based version. I would skip the WAITINGFORINFO step and set them
> directly to UNMAINTAINED. Of course, I plan to leave a comment on every
> closed bug again, offering to reopen if the bug is still valid, and
> explaining the whole process.

Usually the process here is to ask users to reproduce on a recent version and
set to WAITINGFORINFO with information that the bug will be closed if there is
no reponse within some period of time (1-3 months?), or let users close it
themselves if they can't/won't/are unable to reproduce.

> A seemingly large portion of users still uses KDE PIM 4.14. The number of
> affected bugs would be huge as well. That's why I want to be extra sure that
> all PIM devs are OK with my plan.

Sadly, there's a lots of issues that are still relevant in recent version, it
would be bad if we closed those issues too.

> I'll gladly take any feedback on this. If you think that closing those bugs
> is OK, does the same apply to wishes? Is this delicate enough to even
> discuss the wording of the closing comment? Or do I just worry way too
> much? ;)

It's delicate, but we don't probably need to discuss the precise wording :-)
It's important to be polite and to explain why the bug is being closed and
encourage users to reopen or open a new bug if they notice the issue in the
future. Something among those lines.

I vaguely recall discussing what the comment should be in the past, but I'm
not sure if it was on the kdepim ml :/ too many mailinglist...

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org